Director of Compliance (SMS Manager)
Posted: April 2, 2020
Established in 1960, Perimeter Aviation LP is a diversified company that is a subsidiary of the Exchange Income Corporation which has recently grown through the acquisition of Bearskin Airlines. With more than 750 employees, we operate a fleet of 40+ aircraft including the Metro 2, 3, 23, Merlin and Dash 8 aircraft. We are based in Winnipeg and Thompson, Manitoba as well as Sioux Lookout and Thunder Bay, Ontario. We provide scheduled passenger and freight services to Northern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, 24/7 North American charter services, Medical evacuation services and a full-service maintenance facility including design engineering, NDT, and Garrett turbine engine services.
We are a Canadian company, proudly building a diverse workforce that is driven by a shared sense of community, customer service and a dedication to safety. We’re fostering a culture where our employees can feel proud of the work that they do and the company they work for. We seek employees who embrace a “can-do” attitude to help transform the communities that we serve.
The Director of Compliance (SMS Manager) is responsible for overseeing the direction of the company Safety Management System as delegated by the Person Responsible for Maintenance (PRM), and the Operations Manager.
They also oversee the Occupational and Health Program, Dangerous Goods Program, and the Aviation Security Program.
The individual will demonstrate and provide leadership in continually developing a strong company safety culture and robust processes associated with hazard identification and risk management in all areas of the organizational.
The Director of Compliance reports to the VP of Operations.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment, analytical and strong problem solving skills
- “Can do” and “Will do” attitude and ability to personally contribute in a fast paced environment
- Detail oriented with a proven capacity to plan and be organized; strong project management experience skills
- Accountable, adaptable and a self-starter
- Operationally savvy who will thrive in a continuous improvement environment
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Proactive, self-motivated and work well with others
- Solid Interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with all departments
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- SMS Program:
- Ensure systems are in place to meet all components and elements of a Safety Management Program as per Transport Canada Regulations and Standards
- Occupational Health and Safety Program
- Ensure systems are in place to meet all regulatory requirements associated with OHS Program.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Program
- Ensure systems are in place to meet all regulatory requirements associated with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- Aviation Security Program:
- Ensure systems are in place to meet all regulatory obligations associated with the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations and Winnipeg Airport Authority expectations
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Manager.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 diplomas and/or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership required
- Aviation experience
- Customer Service experience
- Strong listening and communication experience
- Experience with problem solving
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must qualify for WAA pass
- Pilot or AME experience considered an asset
- Post-secondary education considered an asset
- Aboriginal Awareness and/or Cultural Diversity Training considered an asset
- Most work performed in an office environment; contact with staff and the public; daily outdoor environment (all weather conditions)
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
Methods and procedures described or implied in the job profile may be altered to accommodate employees.
How to Apply
Perimeter Aviation’s hiring policy is to recruit and select the best applicant for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position. Perimeter Aviation LP does not discriminate against applicants based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to HRAdvisor@perimeter.ca
We thank all candidates for their interest in the position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis which may result in an earlier application deadline.