Director of Western Operations
Posted: February 5, 2020
Deadline: March 5, 2020
Established in 1960, Perimeter Aviation LP is a diversified company that is a subsidiary of the Exchange Income Corporation which has recently grown through the acquisition of Bearskin Airlines. With more than 750 employees, we operate a fleet of 40+ aircraft including the Metro 2, 3, 23, Merlin and Dash 8 aircraft. We are based in Winnipeg and Thompson, Manitoba as well as Sioux Lookout and Thunder Bay, Ontario. We provide scheduled passenger and freight services to Northern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, 24/7 North American charter services, Medical evacuation services and a full-service maintenance facility including design engineering, NDT, and Garrett turbine engine services.
We are a Canadian company, proudly building a diverse workforce that is driven by a shared sense of community, customer service and a dedication to safety. We’re fostering a culture where our employees can feel proud of the work that they do and the company they work for. We seek employees who embrace a “can-do” attitude to help transform the communities that we serve.
Reporting to the VP Flight Operations, the Director of Western Operations is responsible for planning, directing and implementing the organization’s policies, strategic objectives, and both operational and commercial initiatives, ensuring the safe, compliant and reliable operation of the airline’s Manitoba Operations. This role encompasses all elements of day-to-day airline operations, operational readiness, safety initiatives, customer service and the ongoing, day-to-day management of the organization’s business model to ensure maximum productivity and efficiencies while upholding the mission and values established by Perimeter Aviation LP.
The individual will provide leadership and is ultimately responsible for the company’s Manitoba Operations including both the Thompson and Winnipeg bases, with the primary focus of On-Time performance and operational excellence.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Control of Operations within the region, striving for on-time performance, operational excellence and overall customer satisfaction
- Oversight of operations coordination functions which impact operational control i.e. maintenance, crew scheduling, load control, de-icing, equipment scheduling
- Coordinate applicable Base, OTP, and Reliability meetings
- Liaise with any external agencies that may affect air operator operations
- Ensure that Company operations are conducted in accordance with current regulations, standards and Company policy
- Active involvement in Perimeter’s SMS program and active participation in SMS reports as required, and attend weekly meetings
- Ensure that region’s SOCC department is trained, compliant, and functioning at peak performance.
- Be knowledgeable and aware of the company’s approved manuals
- Supervision, organization, function and staffing of your entire area including regulatory compliance
- Attend and participate in meetings as required
- Payroll, ensuring that all employees who report directly to the position follow a structured pay scale, pay raises and payroll errors are acted upon quickly, and employees are knowledgeable of their holiday details and stat holiday procedures
- Ensure that employee hiring and discipline actions are coordinated with the company’s HR department
- Ensure routine and frequent communication with all employees who report directly to the position
- Perform annual employee reviews for all staff reporting directly to the position
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are current and effective for each department under responsibility
- Attend trade shows and applicable industry conferences
- Follow up with customers as required
- Available to fly two (2) scheduled days/month or as operationally required within the scope of Flight and Duty regulatory requirements including office duties
- Duties as assigned
- Demonstrate ability to work independently, show initiative and resourcefulness
- Operationally savvy, able to thrive in a continuous improvement environment
- Proactive, self-motivated and work well with others
- Highly flexible with the ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- A thorough and comprehensive understanding of the competitive dynamics in the field of Aviation
- Awareness and recognition of new opportunities and developing new business initiatives
- Strategic planner, able to implement corporate and business initiatives
- Consistent and ongoing evaluation of operational issues to ensure competitive edge and staying current with the latest trends in Aviation
- Exemplify key leadership attributes of knowledge, skills and abilities with respect to: strategic vision, corporate change and adaptability, teamwork, cultural awareness and achieving synergy through effective communication
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma
- Post-secondary education is an asset
- Strong leadership with progressive management experience required
- Type rating on the Dash 8 and Metro Aircraft is an asset
- Knowledge of the company’s operational software systems
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must qualify for WAA pass
- Work performed primarily in an office environment; contact with staff and the public, and occasionally outdoor work
- Travel as required to support the operational needs of the company
- Use of company-issued cell phone, accessible weekend/weekday 24/7 or delegated to designate when unavailable
How to Apply
Perimeter Aviation’s hiring policy is to recruit and select the best applicant for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position. Perimeter Aviation LP does not discriminate against applicants based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to HRAdvisor@perimeter.ca
We thank all candidates for their interest in the position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis which may result in an earlier application deadline.